Corvallis Municipal Airport
1985-062.0019C

Search again:


After a 1939 vote approved an airport bond measure, the city of Corvallis purchased 491 acres 5 miles south of town. The federal government offered funds for airport construction if the city agreed to a military takeover in the event of way. With the attack on Pearl Harbor, the Army Corps of Engineers took over and built two long runways (later increased to three), a control tower and other buildings. Light observation planes and medium bombers were housed in hangars and used in anti-submarine patrol and in training exercises.

This overhead view shows the airport and identifies 1) the hangar, 2) the control tower, 3) the machine shop 4) the parachute drying loft and 5) the water tower.

airport_Corvallis_aerial

Photo by Valley Flying Service, Inc.

 

© 2015 Benton County Historical Society & Museum
Philomath, Oregon

Oregon State University Horner Museum Collection
sponsored and supported in part by the
Horner Museum Fund